Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Dust Cover Dust-Up: Round Two, Part Five


Rule 34 by Charles Stross vs. Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi

These are both authors I like, and books that I really quite enjoyed. It's a toss-up - they're both excellent science fiction. However, there's a little more meat to Rule 34 than there is to Agent to the Stars. The Scalzi is so much fun, and entertaining to read, but Rule 34 was truly unsettling at times, and when you can make me think while entertaining me, that's all to the good.

Winner: Rule 34




Baby of the Family by Tina McElroy Ansa vs. Goliath by Scott Westerfeld

I really did like Baby of the Family, but that's not why it's winning this round. It's because I wasn't that fond of Goliath. This Scott Westerfeld series never really grabbed me, so I have no problem knocking it out of the competition. Besides, Baby of the Family was a very enjoyable read.

Winner: Baby of the Family





Saga Vol. 4 by Brian K. Vaughn vs. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss

I'm really not sure how to pick in this particular case. While I have loved Saga as a whole, this one felt too stretched out, a bit padded with false drama. I'm still looking forward to the next, but it wasn't my favourite. In the other corner we have a children's classic, which I quite enjoyed. I think this round actually goes to the brightly coloured children's book, rather than the brightly coloured book that's definitely for adults.
Winner: The Lorax








S.E.C.R.E.T. by L. Marie Adeline vs. The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson

Finally, I get to kick not that sexy erotica off the list. It's not terrible, it just didn't do it for me. In the other corner, we have a really excellent work of popular history, with a strong sense of nuance, and an author that avoids the pitfalls of seeing people in the past as obtuse.

Winner: The Ghost Map






Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson vs. The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein

While I didn't love The Puppet Masters, it had at least one good idea that I wished it had made more of. That, however, can't hold a candle to the fervent passion that Written in the Body still kindles in me months and months later. (We're reading it for my book club in March, and I can't wait.) There is no question that this is some of the most amazing prose I've read all year.

Winner: Written on the Body

No comments:

Post a Comment