Pages

Thursday 29 January 2015

Dust Cover Dust-Up 2014: Round Three, Part Three

Daughter of Smoke and Bone vs. Memory

Winner: Memory

This is a tough one. I liked both of these books a lot - the former was definitely the best YA I read this year (not that there were many), and the latter was one of my favourite of the Vorkosigan books. I like it in particular because it has Miles at his most vulnerable, having shot himself in the foot, metaphorically. Learning how to live with disability, and not being what you thought you would be. It's timely, it's interesting, and it's difficult. So it wins, even though Laini Taylor's world and the characters in it left me hungry for more. It's a tough choice. Bujold for the win.

Komarr vs. An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Winner: Komarr

It feels a little weird to put two Lois McMaster Bujold books through in a row, but Chris Hadfield's book, while I liked it, has mostly been getting through because it's been up against weaker books. I like space, and his book is interesting, but it didn't grab me as hard as the first introduction of Ekaterina did on Komarr. And she is one of my literary loves of the year. What a great character, what a great match for Miles. I may have read these books out of order, but still, she was amazingly fun to read.

Broken Homes vs. Habitation of the Blessed vs. The Broken Kingdoms

Winner: The Broken Kingdoms

Ooof. A dreaded moment where I have to pick between three books I really, really liked. Two of which have "broken" in the title for some reason. It's a hard choice. I love Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant books. I loved Catherynne Valente's prose. But I think of the three, I love even more the tenuous knit-togetherness of the main character in The Broken Kingdoms and all the thought about what the fracturing of power can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment