Pages

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Stiff by Mary Roach

I really, really enjoyed this book but for anyone who might want to read it, there are some caveats:

1) Don't read it if you're squeamish. Imagine someone telling you some cool fact, except that that fact involves corpses and the decomposition thereof, and if your gut reaction is "I don't want to hear it!", as my husband's was, this is probably not a book for you.

2) Even if you have a strong stomach and are interested in things like the above, don't read this book while you're eating. My mother was an emergency room nurse for decades - I would have said there was nothing too disgusting to hear about/read while eating. This book proved me wrong. Have another book on hand if you read during meals.

Outside of that, I found this fascinating in all ways. Very few things exceeded my squick factor. I particularly loved the section on ecologically-friendly methods of body disposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment