Pages

Friday 1 August 2014

Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne by Brian Clevinger

I love Atomic Robo. I fell in love with it after the first one I read, on Free Comic Book Day, in which there is a evil mad scientist velociraptor running through the corridors as walls are being torn down around him yelling "DO NOT BLAME ME IT IS NOT MY FAULT." (Grammar as presented, which for some reason makes it even funnier.)

I fell in love with Dr. Dinosaur right there, evil or not. And all the rest of the Atomic Robo universe. I've enjoyed all the comics I've read since then, and now, graphic novels!

Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne frequently made me laugh out loud, from the moment that Atomic Robo said "I didn't found this crazy organization to not nuke things" to the moment that it was revealed that Atomic Robo used rocks to write STEPHEN HAWKING IS A BASTARD in huge letters across the face of Mars. (Well, he deserved it.)

In this volume, Atomic Robo and his Fightin' Scientists tussle with Helsingard, a Nazi weird scientist whose brain has been transplanted into several successive bodies. Also with giant ants, with great discussion about how that should be impossible. (With one fightin' scientist defending staunchly his new field of "Imaginary Science".) Oh yeah, and then they had to fight a pyramid that was causing destruction across Egypt.

Atomic Robo is crazy fun, an irreverent, 1950s-style mad science comic extravaganza.

But this doesn't get five stars because there is no Dr. Dinosaur in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment